Written by Uswa Zainab
When shopping, the appliances or ingredients people prefer the most are the ones on which the main purpose is mentioned right there in the title. For instance, the things having names waffle iron, muffin mix, eggbeater, and cake flour are nearly impossible to be screwed up.
As it is now the case that the whole world aims to bake every humanly possible thing in the kitchen, the two main elements of baking, all-purpose flour and baking flour, are the center of attention and priority nowadays. This article is based on the simplest tips and tricks to differentiate between all-purpose flour and cake flour, mainly aimed to assist the new, non-professional bakers who find difficulty in discerning salt from sugar or baking soda from flour.
Martin Philip, a professional baker and author of the famous recipe book, Breaking Bread: A Baker’s Journey Home in 75 Recipes, says that, cake flour contains less amount of protein content as compared to all-purpose, pastry, or self-rising flour. He also said that cake flour, because of its tenderness, makes great cakes. The cake made with cake flour, as compared to the one made with all-purpose flour, is light and airy because of the high starch and low protein content the cake flour consists.
The reason is that, in the manufacturing of cake flour, soft wheat is refined to fine particles in the mill. This wheat contains low protein content. All-purpose flour contains almost 10 to 13 percent protein; on the contrary, a typical batch of cake flour consists of 5 to 8 percent protein. Cake flour, along with its low protein content, contains a small amount of gluten that causes the cake to crumble easily, producing minimal bindings.
Cake flour is undergoes the process of chlorination – a bleaching process that encourages the absorption of sugar and liquid in starch that results in a soft, moist cake.
If one has to bake a cake immediately, and there is no cake flour in the kitchen, one can make the flour at home that is almost similar to the market one and works quite well. The recipe to make cake flour is given here-under:
- Take all-purpose flour. Measure out 1 full cup of it.
- Now remove two tablespoons of the measured out flour, and return to your all-purpose flour bag.
- In place of the two spoons removed, add two tablespoons of cornstarch.
- In the next step, sift the cornstarch and flour combination no less than five or six times. This step is important as it helps to combine the mixture thoroughly and make the flour light and aerated.
- This should be repeated for every individual cup of flour required in your cake recipe.
- And the flour mixture is ready to be used as directed in your recipe.
About the writer:
Miss Uswa Zainab is an apt student of Sir Syed Kazim Ali, one of the distinguished grammarians in the contemporary world. She has gone through his 4-month course on Freelance Creative English Writing and Basic to Advanced Grammar. Pursuing graduation in the field of computer science and studies in English writing, she relishes writing articles and blogs on diverse themes: academic articles – everyday science, current affairs – and creative blogs – technology, beauty, fashion, entertainment, etc.
Name of the Student: Miss Uswa Zainab
Total Articles/Blogs: 16
English Coach: Sir Syed Kazim Ali
Course Taken: Creative English Writing & Article Writing
Like other competitive students, If you have a story to tell, guidance to help, knowledge to educate, or a perspective that can help CSS aspirants daily, welcome to CSSPrepForum. It is free to get your opinions, viewpoints, judgements, and thinking published, whether it is a blog, article, essay, application, letter, precis, comprehension, MCQs, or anything that helps competitive youth of Pakistan. CSSPrepForum is a place that let you connect with thousands of competitive readers, and helps your voice heard across the community. Let’s start writing and get your voice heard to those who are looking for you. Email Your Write-ups at firstname.lastname@example.org
At CSSPrepForum, many famous writers, lecturers, and aspirants get their write-ups published daily, and we upload CSS solved papers, CSS Solved essays, Solved Past Papers of FPSC, PPSC, NTS, and all other competitive exams, and current affairs blogs daily. Let’s connect us and get an instant update and notification through
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Articles and news that you might love to read!
- Kids Corner | Your Kids Joyful Learning Starts Here
- Matric (9th & 10th) | Past Papers & Advanced 5k+ MCQs
- F.Sc. (Part-I & II) | Past Papers & Advanced 10k+ MCQs
- CSS 20 Years Solved Past Papers MCQs | Compulsory + Optional
- Do You Know Article Usage? Let’s Play Article Quiz | 1000+ MCQs
- CSS Solved Correction from 1990 to 2020
- How did Miss Bakhtawar TOP FPSC One Paper MCQs exams?
- How to qualify CSS Essay Paper and how to attempt it?
- The best CSS English teacher in Pakistan, who helped me qualify
- Top 3 best CSS English teachers in Pakistan for CSS & PMS Aspirants
- The Uses of “Used To”, “Be Used To”, & “Get Used To”
- CSS Solved Everyday Science (GSA) Past Paper 1985
- CSS Solved Everyday Science (GSA) Past Paper 1986
- CSS Solved Everyday Science (GSA) Past Paper 1987