Solved by Miss Arooj Nadeem
CSS Solved Pakistan Affairs Past Paper 2020 | How the reform movement of Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi influenced the history of Muslim India?
In this question, the examiner asks you to write about the influence of Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi’s reform movement, not who Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi was. So, writing his political, religious, and social impacts and proving it till the last of your sentence award you the maximum score. You don’t need to explain the history of Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi in this question.
The answer is solved on the given pattern, which Sir Syed Kazim Ali teaches to his students, who consistently score the maximum because of their attempting the questions. The content is based on historical facts taught by Sir Rameez Ch.
Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi influenced the religious and political history of the Indian sub-continent by rejuvenating Islam and condemning the un-Islamic practices; thus, highlighting the Muslims’ separate identity.
2- Historical Perspective : The condition of India during his time
- Ulema ceasing to refer to Quran and Hadith
- Practising un-Islamic customs and traditions by then Muslims
- The growing trend of joint nationalism in the Sub-continent
- Promulgation of Wahdat-ul-Wajood and Sulh-i-Kul
3- Influence of Sheikh Ahmed’s reform movement
- Purification of the religious and practical life of Muslims
- Renaissance and propagation of true Islamic values
- Influence on the Mughal emperors
- Wahdat-ul-Shahud encountering Wahdat-ul-Wajood
- Re-emposition of Jizya
- The birth of Two Nation Theory
- The revival of Muslims higher civil positions in the Mughal Court
- Prohibition of inter-religious marriages
- Freedom to follow Islamic rituals and traditions
4- Critical analysis
Answer to the Question
The religious and political efforts of Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi, also known as Mujadid Alf Sani, left an imperishable mark on the history of Indian Muslims. By opposing bluntly the then newly-born deen, Deen-i-Elahi, condemning the misconceptions related to Wahadat-ul-Wajood, and pulling the Muslims of sub-continent out of the religious, cultural, and moral crisis, he revived the true spirit of Islam and, as a result, laid the first stone of Two Nation Theory. Besides that, he also differentiated the Muslims from the Hindus. His sustainable efforts proved splendidly worthwhile in eliminating the un-Islamic practices from the Indian subcontinent. Thus, Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi, the father of religiopolitical reform movements, influenced the Muslims of the Mughal period and sowed the seed for the subsequent generations to have a separate homeland, Pakistan. This answer comprehensively discusses the influence of Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi’s reform movement and how it impacted the history of Muslim India.
Nothing ruined the Muslim society during Akbar’s era religiously, politically, and socially the way Deen-e-Elahi did. It changed the nature and spirit of Islam. Un-Islamic practices and a widespread belief in karamat and supernatural powers became a common tradition. Apart from this, the mystics and scholars started openly denying the authenticity of Sharia by declaring it as superficial. On the other hand, ulema ceased to refer to Quran and Hadith. Consequently, Emperor Akbar’s propagated concept of joint nationalism aggravated the un-Islamic social environs. Above all, Wahdat-ul-Wajood and Sulh-i-Kul, peace with all- promulgated at the time of Akbar, further exploited many heretical customs and practices in United India.
That was the time when Sheikh Ahmed appeared on the horizon as a saviour of Islam. On the one hand, he started eliminating the un-Islamic tendencies by rebuking the newly born deen, Deen-e-Elahi; on the other hand, he started rejuvenating Islam by preaching true Islamic values simultaneously. He also presented the concept of Wahdat-ul-Shahud by encountering the prevalent idea of Wahdat-ul-Wajood and greatly emphasized that the creator and creatures are two different and separate entities. With that, all the Islamic rituals became part and parcel of society. Accordingly, his sending of his several disciples across the subcontinent to preach the real Islam impacted India greatly. Therefore, the great practice of slaughtering cows, ordering khutbas, taking Jizya, and constructing prominent mosques started carrying out once again due to Sheikh’s reform movement. All of his efforts to revitalise Islam and together then Muslims under Haq’s banner helped him significantly influence Jehangir to alter his religious views and abandon his father’s practices and won him honour and the title of Mujadid Alf Sani. Shaykh Ahmed Sirhindi made an extraordinary effort, which non-Muslim Scholar had even appreciated. Hence, the steps of Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi purified the religious and practical life of Muslims.
As far as the political influence of Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi was concerned, he never took part in politics. Still, all of his preachings and efforts gave birth to Two Nation Theory in the subcontinent, an impregnable political slogan. He had a staunch belief that the Muslims and the Hindus are separate identities; thus, their amalgamation on any grounds would lead both identities towards complete distraction. Although he never tried to sculpt Muslim nationalism, he fought against Akbar’s confused policies for restoring Islam and drew a distinctive line between Muslims and Hindus. Moreover, his Islamic Renaissance movement helped Muslims to achieve their lost glory. Hence, the influence of Sheikh Ahmed paved the way for the coming reformers, like Shah Walli Ullah, Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, Syed Ahmed shaheed and others in the political arena. Allama Iqbal did praise Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi for his work by saying;
“He was the guardian of the Muslim faith in India whom God had given a timely warning.”
The social condition of the Muslims was interlinked with the religious situation prevailing in United India. It soon became better when the Muslim society started moving back towards Islam, which resulted in the prohibition of inter-religious marriages, the root cause of social evils of that time. Moreover, the abundant Islamic rituals were restored as Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi succeeded in persuading the Muslims to adopt simple life in the light of Islam and Sunnah. As aptly said by Allama Iqbal:
نہیں ہے اللہ کو اس مومن کی پرواہ
کہ جس کی روح خوابیدہ ہے اب تک
مرا دل کیا لگے مکتب میں ہم دم
نہ ہو اک بھی جواں بیدار جب تک
Akbar’s motivation and intention behind introducing a new religion, Deen-e-Elahi, was solely based on political grounds rather than the religious one. However, his promulgated Deen-e-Elahi aggravated the already fragile Islamic belief of then Muslims. As a result, Muslims started suffering politically, socially, and, above all, religiously. To counter all those social, political, and religious evils, the only personality who came forward with distinctive ideology was Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi. He did not only challenge Akbar’s Deen-e-Elahi but also re-established the lost glory of Islam by propagating true shariah in the Indian subcontinent.
It is a fact that every action has a reaction. Similarly, Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi, as a personality, and his preachings were the reaction of Akbar’s propagated practices and his newly promulgated deen. It was none but Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi who discussed social, political, and religious matters openly by adopting and propagating true Islamic values and helped then Muslims to have a distinctive identity from then Hindus. Not last but least, his efforts impacted the Indian sub-continent sow the seeds of the Two-Nation Theory, a concept on which Muslims successfully secured a separate homeland, Pakistan.
About Miss Arooj Nadeem:
Miss Arooj Nadeem is a famous pharmacist by profession. She has been engaged in research in the field of pharmacy for years. To let peoples of the world know about medicines and health, she has started learning writing by joining Sir Syed Kazim Ali. She is also a CSS & PMS aspirant. After learning creative writing, she has begun solving past paper questions on the guidelines given by Sir Syed Kazim Ali, Miss Zaineb Azam, and Sir Rameez Ch. to help thousands of CSS, PMS aspirants. She is trying to solve all the CSS, PMS past papers with the help of Sir Kazim’s students, who qualified for the exams or scored the highest marks.
Other Questions Solved by Miss Saba Islam:
- Discuss the significance of renewable energy resources for Pakistan. (CSS 2021)
- Critically analyze the key causes of delaying in the construction of dams in Pakistan. Give some suggestions to revert this Collateral loss. (CSS 2019)
- What were the aims and objectives behind the creation of Pakistan?
Other Questions Solved by Miss Laraib Rafique Rai:
- The Objectives Resolution (1949) satisfied both orthodox and modernists by combining the features of western and Islamic democracy. (PMS 2020)
- Discuss the features of the political culture of Pakistan. CSS Pakistan Affairs Solved Paper 2020
- How Pakistan should combat the 5th generation war? (CSS 2021)
- How far the nature of the centre province relation has changed under various constitutional amendments? Evaluate. (CSS 2019)
Other Questions Solved by Miss Arooj Nadeem:
- How the reform movement of Sheikh Ahmed Sirhindi influenced the history of Muslim India? (CSS 2020)
- Critically examine the Congress Ministries of 1937. How far is it correct to suggest that it paved the way for a separate Muslim homeland in India? (CSS 2019)
- Write a note on the Two-Nation Theory and the Lahore Resolution of March 1940 (CSS 2016)
Other Questions Solved by Mutahar Iftikhar:
- Write a comprehensive note on unemployment in Pakistan: Social, political, and economic impacts. (CSS 2020)
- What are the main causes of the energy crisis in Pakistan? What measures do you suggest to address it? (PMS 2020)
Let’s read more about Sir Syed Kazim Ali.
- Top English Teachers for CSS and PMS in Pakistan
- One Man, One Idea, Years of Struggle, Millions of Students by DailyTimes
- The Best English Teacher for CSS / PMS by Sir Ali Raza
- The Best English Teacher in Pakistan, Who Has Helped Me Most
- Sir Syed Kazim Ali the best CSS English teacher in Pakistan by concernedreviews
- How to Qualify for the CSS Essay and How to Write it? | CSS Essay and Communication Skills.
Available Online Courses
- Howfiv’s One Paper Commission Exam Prep Course | 2-Month Course | Let’s Register Now
- Online CSS, PMS English Class by Sir Syed Kazim Ali | Let’s Read How to Join
- Howfiv Advanced Creative Writing Course (Highly Recommended)
- PMS English Essay, Precis and GK Class | 3-Month Course | Let’s Register Now
- Online English Tenses & Voices 1-Month Course
- PPSC Tehsildar and Naib Tehsildar Exams Preparation Course, Study Material, and Mock Tests
- Basic English Grammar & Writing Course by Miss Syeda Saba & Miss Amreen Mir